STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE ALL REQUIREMENTS FOR A DIPLOMA, INCLUDING SERVICE HOURS, TO PARTICIPATE IN ALL GRADUATION CEREMONIES. EXCEPTIONS TO THIS REQUIREMENT WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE RECTOR WITH CONSULTATION FROM THE PRINCIPAL.
1 year = 10 units; ½ year (1 semester) = 5 units;
Students must remediate, in summer school, all grades of “F” earned in a current school year prior to the beginning of the following school year.
A minimum of 280 units to graduate plus sixty (60) hours Community Service.
Subject Area Required Courses:
· 4 years of Theology
· 4 years of English
· 3 years of Social Studies
· 3 years of Math (minimum of Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II)
· 3 years of Science
· 2 years of the same Foreign Language
· 2 years of Physical Education
· 1 year of Visual & Performing Art (V.P.A)
· ½ year of Health Education
· ½ year of Computer Competency
Note: The remaining units needed to reach the 280 unit minimum are courses chosen by the student in consultation with the assigned counselor.
Requirements for a Diploma AND PARTICIPATION IN GRADUATION CEREMONIES
· To receive a Garces Memorial diploma and participate in graduation ceremonies a student must successfully complete (a grade of “D-” or better) the following:
a) All Subject Area Required Courses;
b) 280 credit units;
c) the sixty (60) hour service requirement. All Community Service hours for graduating seniors are to be completed and documented with the Community Service Hours coordinator by the last day of Senior Final Exams.
· To receive a Garces Memorial diploma a student must attend Garces both semesters of his/her senior year. Garces expects that any student who desires a diploma will successfully complete a total of four years in high school. Students who apply as transfers to Garces and wish to receive a Garces Memorial diploma having attended high school for LESS THAN FOUR YEARS will be advised to enroll at another high school or complete the requirements for a graduation/diploma certificate available through the State of California.
· A senior who receives a second semester grade of “F” in ANY course will not receive a diploma until such course is successfully completed and will not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
· Should a student not complete the above requirements by the scheduled graduation date, the student must obtain approval from the Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs to complete the required work/units. Once the work is completed and submitted to Garces Memorial for posting on the student’s transcript, the student may receive his/her diploma.
· A senior who is denied credit in ANY course due to excessive absenteeism (See Attendance Policies and Procedures) will not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies and will not receive a diploma until such course is successfully completed.
· Students must complete all additional course requirements as established by the school administration.
SIXTY (60) HOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENT GUIDELINES
All Garces students are expected to give back to the community in the form of service to others. In addition to the academic requirements, students must complete sixty (60) hours of community service to receive a Garces Memorial diploma. A student who transfers to Garces Memorial will be required to complete seven and one half (7.5) hours for each full semester in attendance.
Students must complete their sixty (60) hours in one or more of the following areas:
SERVICE FOR GARCES MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL
Hours must serve the Garces community (i.e. Swim meets, Gala, Band Show, Christmas on Campus, Special People Day, etc.). Hours completed for an individual will not be approved towards the service hours requirement.
SERVICE FOR PARISH/CHURCH
Students are to be serving in a meaningful way that assists a church or parish community. Serving in a church ministry, assisting in a church fundraiser or assisting with a church service project are all acceptable hours. Service which occurs while fulfilling a student’s Sunday Obligation (Altar Serving, Choir, Eucharistic Minister) will be prorated at a ratio of 2:1 (one hour of service equates to thirty minutes of Parish Community Service). Working with a Parish School (OLPH, OLG, St. Francis, etc.) will count for Parish Hours.
SERVICE FOR COMMUNITY (NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION APPROVED BY THE SERVICE HOUR COORDINATOR)
Non-Profit Community service may only be completed through organizations approved by Garces Memorial High School. Please see the Service Hour Coordinator for an updated list of approved organizations.
***Students are required to complete at least 15 hours per year
All service hours must be fulfilled outside of school hours. Completed service hour forms must be properly submitted to the Service Hours Coordinator during the same school year in which they were served or they will be invalidated
The completed evaluation form must be returned to the Service Hour Coordinator and retained in the student's Community Service folder for the duration of his/her schooling at Garces Memorial.
The acceptance of any monetary award for performing the service will invalidate the hours earned.
Hours applied towards the California Scholarship Federation, gold seal requirements will NOT be counted for the Garces Memorial Service Hours graduation requirement.
The student will not be covered by the school's liability insurance when completing service hours in locations other than the Garces Memorial campus.
Hours may be earned during the summer vacation and will be credited to the next academic year.
Service hours are to be done for events or school wide projects not for individuals.
The deadline for service hour forms for the current academic year is the last day of the final exams.
STUDENTS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE THE 15 HOUR PER YEAR MINIMUM WILL BE INELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES BEGINNING THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO SATURDAY DETENTIONS UNTIL THE REQUIREMENT IS MET
Service Hours Evaluation Form